SHEROES Summit 2016
Wednesday, August 10
Eros Hotel, Nehru Place
It was that time of the year, when I was led to the insightful and inspiring SHEROES Summit for the second time, after my association with them in 2014.
Delhi traffic made sure I did not arrive before the Summit began, all roads led to the SHEROES Summit that day! :) Sairee took to the stage to speak about the conception of SHEROES and how it all began.
The good thing was that I arrived some time after the Keynote Session with Nithya Shanti had begun. His session made for a perfect start to the day and I was exclaiming 'How Wonderful!' by the time it ended. He spoke to a hall full of people early morning 10 'o' clock.
- 3-point agenda: Show Up, Share Your Gifts, Synergize
- Luck = Preparation + Opportunity
- Develop the art of being present
- Vocalize, Visualize, Emotionalize, Actualize, Express Gratitude
- SW SW SW SW - Some Will, Some Won't, So What? Someone's Waiting! :)
- Don't be afraid to ASK
- Job is a Chore (Hands), Career is a Climb (Hands + Head), Calling is the vision (Hands + Head + Heart)
- MIND is essentially Mostly Inaccurate Neural Drama
The second session was a CXO Panel moderated by Syna Dehnugara, comprising the following panelists:
- Nipun Singhal - Director, Lloyd Electric and Engineering
- Pankaj Bansal - Co-founder and CEO, PeopleStrong
- Shilpa Sharma - Co-founder, Jaypore
- Radhika Ghai Agarwal - Co-founder and Chief Business Officer, Shopclues
Naina Kidwai was quoted on the dais as thus:
"Other than the crystal balls of family and home, there is a third ball though that we, as perennial jugglers, forget - that third ball is 'me time'. I treat this as a rubber ball - allow it to drop and bounce back when I can afford to attend it."
The three things not to do in an e-comm business or any business for that matter were discussed:
- Create a deliverable that caters to some need.
- Make sure that the service being promised is differentiated.
- Passion is overrated and dynamic in nature.
The third session focused on Future Of Work, moderated by Rituparna Chatterjee and had the following panelists:
- Prukalpa Sankar - Co-founder, SocialCops
- Kashyap Deorah - Entrepreneur and Investor
- Bee Rowlatt - Writer and Journalist
- Varun Khaitan - Co-founder, UrbanClap
Flexible working is a lifeline, a progressive concept. Bee admitted that she would've gone crazy without it. It is also true however that the present day generation has seen flexible working, not past rigidness in routine that inculcated discipline.
Also highlighted was the fact that technology is catalyst to changing work environment while also applauding the fact that we had gradually accustomed ourselves to celebrating working parenthood.
Post-lunch it was about sparkling milestones and spiraling meltdowns, with Dare To Be by Rinku Paul, which familiarized readers with the stories of success and failure of fourteen women, one of whom was SHEROES founder, Sairee Chahal.
Other ladies featuring in the series included Zumba instructor Sucheta Pal and stand-up comedian Neeti Palta.
According to Rinku, being an entrepreneur is tough, woman entrepreneur tougher, young entrepreneur tougher still.
Two budding women entrepreneurs took to the stage, after Rinku to 'lightning-pitch' their ideas within a strict time frame of five minutes, with proper time keeping.
- Smita Mishra of PoolWallet, with the concept of a P2P Group Payment Social Network
- Neha Upadhyay of Gunaa Organics, reaching out to organic farmers of difficult terrains
One of the women who had dared to be in real-life set the room reverberating with cheers of SHEROES! at the time she arrived on stage. Ex-Indian Woman Cricketer Anjum Chopra was in our midst!
Delivering a power-packed oration, tracing her roots and training period, she was quick to comment on gender bias - कुछ तो लोग कहेंगे, लोगों का काम है कहना!